Schema / Structure Design

Coordinator
Apr 9, 2008 at 10:16 PM
Alright, I guess I'll get this ball rolling while we decide on the technical / operational details of the project. There are several approaches and features that can go into a content management system and I think it would be a good idea for us to decide on the approach to take and have a general idea of what functionality & features we would like to see in the application before we dive in head first. Help me out with some questions here so we can get a good idea of what people think would be the best approach.

What database schema method would you like to take on this application (General relational tree approach, XML embedded, ....)

What features or functionality would you like to see added?
Coordinator
Apr 9, 2008 at 11:16 PM
Edited Apr 10, 2008 at 1:04 AM

ChanceUSC wrote:
Alright, I guess I'll get this ball rolling while we decide on the technical / operational details of the project. There are several approaches and features that can go into a content management system and I think it would be a good idea for us to decide on the approach to take and have a general idea of what functionality & features we would like to see in the application before we dive in head first. Help me out with some questions here so we can get a good idea of what people think would be the best approach.

What database schema method would you like to take on this application (General relational tree approach, XML embedded, ....)

I personally prefer a straight relational schema without involving XML. XML-style content management systems are generally good for people that want to setup a CMS and don't know much about development. Since we are building this as a Starter-Kit for developers, I'm guessing that we can expect people to either know or learn the fundamentals of a straight relational system.

User created styling, blog engine, e-commerce 'package,' mailing lists, statistics, just generic content management at first. I would love to expand to include a forum 'module', a wiki, and so on and so forth.

For the overall schema I figure we'd do something along the lines of

.. .. .. . . . . . . . . . .. .. . .. . . . . . . . . content
.. .. .. . . . . . . . . . .. .. . .. . . . . . . ./
site <--<>---- page <---<>-+
.. .. .. . . . . . . . . . .. .. . .. . . . . . . .\
.. .. .. . . . . . . . . . .. .. . .. . . . . . . . . .style

grr kept taking my spaces out so had to add .s
Apr 10, 2008 at 12:23 AM
I agree with Chance - a straight relational schema.

In terms of very high level features, I'd be interested in a generic CMS (versioning, publishing, etc); multiple portals per site; ecommerce, mailing lists, blog engine, pluggable modules

A good list of CMS products out there can be found at: http://www.cmsmatrix.org/
From there you can get a nice breakdown on CMS functionality for each product http://www.cmsmatrix.org/matrix/cms-matrix?func=viewDetail;listingId=1001 This may give us a good starting place of features to investigate.
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2008 at 1:04 AM

bradl wrote:
I agree with Chance - a straight relational schema.

In terms of very high level features, I'd be interested in a generic CMS (versioning, publishing, etc); multiple portals per site; ecommerce, mailing lists, blog engine, pluggable modules

A good list of CMS products out there can be found at: http://www.cmsmatrix.org/
From there you can get a nice breakdown on CMS functionality for each product http://www.cmsmatrix.org/matrix/cms-matrix?func=viewDetail;listingId=1001 This may give us a good starting place of features to investigate.

Ahh yea! I forgot all about cmsmatrix.org! I'll look over it and point to references that I personally like..
Apr 10, 2008 at 7:59 PM
I like a plain relational schema but I think we should design it in a way that it can work in plain xml files if we later decide to impement an xml based model

Regular basic cms for a version 1 (basic content and navigation managment).
All the other features (forum, blog, wiki, ecommerce, mailing lists, multiple portals, etc...) should be added in later versions