Is anyone good with Photoshop?

We need a logo and probably some basic template graphics
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2008 at 1:06 AM
Edited Apr 11, 2008 at 1:06 AM

srulyt wrote:
Is anyone good with Photoshop?

We need a logo and probably some basic template graphics

http://98.130.25.148/cms.jpg is a layout i made for one of my older CMS. It prob wont work here though.
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM
I'm not a wizard with it, but I have both PS and Illustrator, and I'm competent w/ them.
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2008 at 12:20 PM
So, since the back-end wizards are doing their thing and doing it well, I'm going to start listing out design tenets for the front end, and look forward to comments and so on.

1) XHTML Strict or XHTML Transitional? I like the flexibility of Transitional, but one 'showcase' of the MVC to me is that you can control your output enough to go strict if you want.
2) CSS-friendly design. No tables except for showing data, period.
3) Clean, semantic markup; so all the nice alt and title and rel and so on attributes; markup that makes sense for structure purposes, as little markup that's just there as a CSS hook as possible
4) Avoid div-itis like the plague
5) Accessibility; I'm not a standards Nazi, but putting the 508 compliant sticker on the default templates would be a bonus, methinks.
6) Unobtrusive javascript. Goes without saying. Probably will be extra work to ajax-enable stuff here because of that decision, though; we should start thinking about how to well package that (if at all; we can keep js contained in a single view and do all full-page round-trips).
7) Logo; basic template graphics. We should start talking things like color, and 'feel' of the basic site. I expect we'll want to make several (4-5?) templates that can be packaged with the site, but let's start with the 'trademark' one (i.e. basic). Thoughts on color palette, feel, things we want to evoke?
8) Flash, Silverlight, Applets, etc; I'm going to say "no" to all these for build 1 and possibly further on. FWIW, I've done a fair amount of Flash and am starting to pick up SL, so if/when needed, I can step up to the plate on them; just thinking they're distractions for now.

As a general comment, I think we should try and do a better job partitioning our discussions; keep schema with schema, ui with ui, etc.
Apr 11, 2008 at 1:57 PM
I agree to all of the above

In regard to the XHTML standard I think strict for the basic templates.

Does anyone know anything about HTML 5?
Apr 12, 2008 at 8:04 AM

srulyt wrote:
I agree to all of the above

So do I. May I repeat my earlier suggestion that you produce for 0.1 the simplest (in terms of sticking to simple ASP.NET/CSS), do a release for 0.2, then at 0.3 add alternative front end projects.
My experience of working to XHTML standards is that you reduce considerably cross-browser issues; what browsers does the UI part of the team intend to support? I work mainly in Firefox for all research work.

If older versions of browsers are to be supported (mainly IE), are there any volunteers to test using a Virtual machine? On my home development box, I can create VM's for this purpose but as I am only at home at weekends, this will be a slow process.
Apr 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM
You don't need virtual machines to test old versions of IE, there's download out there called "Multiple IEs" or "IE Standalone" which install all the old versions of IE which can run side by side on the same box.
Apr 12, 2008 at 8:11 PM

tgmdbm wrote:
You don't need virtual machines to test old versions of IE, there's download out there called "Multiple IEs" or "IE Standalone" which install all the old versions of IE which can run side by side on the same box.

true but this is not a safe way to check beta release browsers

I already have multiple VM's for IE7 and IE8

I can set up some more for Firefox 3, Opera, Safari