mvcms project

May 17, 2008 at 10:03 AM
what is the status of mvcms project in this solution? it is empty (well... there is homecontroller inside).
Coordinator
May 17, 2008 at 6:45 PM
I've primarily been working on the management side trying to the very basic workflow down before really cleaning up the code. If anyone wants to work on it right now I'll go ahead and upload it and if not, I'll upload what I have in an hour or so.

The home controller hasn't been touched because it won't really be that hard at all. The core concept that I envisioned puts an emphasis on the routing itself. I'm not sure if you read my other post but I'll go ahead and describe it here again just to be on the safe side:

Each entry into the "page" table, which is the default content table, will have an action and a route associated with it. There is going to be a catchall within the routes that passes the caught route to the dbo function fn_getPage. This function returns the ID and the action of the page. For example:
Lets say someone visits "www.website.com/about_us/store_hours" then "about_us/store_hours" would be passed to the function fn_getPage. Since the page is a standard content page, it would return the ID of the page and the action of say "content". From there, the content action is invoked with the ID passed to it.

If anyone has any input - please let me know. I'm sure you guys have a lot more experience then I do.

Coordinator
May 23, 2008 at 12:48 PM
Didn't see this before, sorry.  I think that's a valid approach, we need to make sure that this rule is the last one (or maybe second to last, right before ~/Default.aspx rule) in the route table, though, and we need to make sure we have logic that ensures that about_us isn't also a controller (probably at new content creation time / rename time if we allow pages to be renamed). 

Another, slightly different, approach might be to explicitly break the path into the category/subcategory hierarchy.  e.g. in this case about_us is the category (might also be a page...) store_hours is one page in that category.

that may or may not be useful.

Also, I assume that when you say "page" you're really talking about "main content" in terms of what's getting stored from the client, right?  We're not going to be storing the page chrome, master page items, etc?